A mint infused dish perfect for cooling off those warm summer nights
Mint is the feature ingredient of this refreshing dish, the perfect element for keeping cool after a hot summer day. The herb is infused in a creamy honey mustard base, adding a savory element that does not compete with but rather complements the crispness of the mint.
I also added some subtle mint notes to the bamboo rice to complement the salmon. First, I boiled several mint leaves in the water I would use later for the rice. I removed the mint leaves from the water and muddled them with some olive oil and minced garlic to get a sort of pesto, later adding this mixture to the cream sauce for the fish. Then when I added the rice to the water later, it could absorb the mint flavor of the water.
And what a unique dish this ended up being! Mint leaves are officially my new favorite ingredient to cook with! The flavor is distinct without being overbearing, simultaneously fresh and rich, making it the perfect dish for a warm summer evening.
Try this dish out with the recipe below and for bonus points, pair it with a mojito and dine alfresco while the weather still permits!
- 2 Salmon filets
- 1 cup Bamboo rice
- Optional: Salt
- Optional: Pepper
- 1/2 c Mint
- 1/4 c Basil
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Cream
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Honey mustard
- 1 Egg yolk
- Season salmon to taste. (Salt/Pepper optional)
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add mint leaves and let boil for 20 seconds.
- Remove leaves and add to food processor with oil, minced garlic and basil. Set 1/4 of mixture aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, yolk, honey mustard, and rest of mint/basil mixture.
- Place mixture in a small saucepan on lowest heat.
- Brush a light coating of the mixture on seasoned salmon and move to oiled skillet on medium/low heat. Cover, flipping every 4 minutes. Cook to taste.
- Remove from heat and drizzle warmed mint sauce on filets to taste.
- Add a cup of rice and a pinch of salt, to mint water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix in pesto that was set aside.