It’s the most wonderful time of the year. And unfortunately that can sometimes bring out the worst in us. It is the season of giving but if we are not careful, we become so wrapped up (ha. punny.) in the busyness of the holidays that we leave no time for a thought or care for anyone who isn’t on our gift list.
Conquer that inner Scrooge with a few random acts of kindness to really spread that Christmas cheer for all to hear! It takes so little to make someone’s day, to leave an impact and to simply be kind.
- Pay for the person’s drive thru meal behind you.
- Hand out scarves and gloves to the homeless.
- Feed parking meters that are about to expire.
- Leave a waiter/waitress a big tip.
- Buy a homeless person a hot meal.
- Leave quarters on vending machines.
- Give a stranger a genuine compliment.
- Let someone go in front of you in line.
- Leave an enveloped gift card on people’s windshield.
- Scrape the ice off of someone’s windshield in the morning. Careful you do it the right way though!
- Make lunch bags to pass out to the homeless.
- Run a toy collection drive.
- Leave a small gift for your sanitation engineers.
- Visit the elderly. Sing Christmas carols with them, read them a book, bring them flowers or a little gift.
- Tell a manager about an employee’s outstanding service. This is one of the most stressful times of the year and many employees don’t hear any gratification from those whom they serve. Taking the time to tell a manager really drives home your appreciation .
- Pay someone’s toll.
- Give a care pack filled with common necessities—deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.— to the homeless.
- Donate clothes you don’t use anymore.
- Help someone load their groceries into the car.
- Rake your neighbors leaves or shovel snow from their driveway.
- Save an animal.
- Pay for someone’s gas.
- Put holiday treats in your neighbor’s mailboxes.
- Leave a gift in the mailbox for the post man.
- Invite someone over for the holidays if you know they will be alone.
Merry Christmas and happy giving!